Alberta's Wetland Policy
|Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development’s wetland management is guided by the:
As of summer 2014, the interim policy and restoration/compensation guide will be phased out. They will be replaced by the new Alberta Wetland Policy and tools and systems enabled under that policy.
- The interim policy provides direction for the management of slough/marsh wetlands in the settled areas of Alberta (the white zone).
- The interim policy was prepared in response to the need for consistent direction to guide the provincial government departments and the public.
- Public consultation was a large part of the interim policy’s development.
- Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development’s priority is to avoid impacts to wetland areas whenever possible. If avoidance is not an option, Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development requires developers to explore options to reduce impacts to wetland area or compensate for the disturbance.
- If approval is granted under the Water Act to conduct an activity to disturb a naturally occurring wetlands compensation for the loss of wetland area is required.
Wetland restoration occurs in accordance with the Guide under the guidance of a Wetland Restoration Agency, such as Ducks Unlimited.